Sunday, May 13, 2007

Compact Action: In with the Old (part.1)

Buying used is the core activity for compact members. For a year, they are challenged to "not buy new." After making the commitment to simplify their lives and walk away from the corporate and commercial world of consumption, actually doing it takes up the other 364 days. We’ll look at a couple of ways to avoid buying new this week and I’ll post a couple more next week.

One predicted consequence of our move was the need of new things. This means new to us, not necessarily "new" as in fresh from the store. Here are our family strategies.

First, can you borrow it or do without? Especially for tools and large, seldom used items, borrowing is the best way to avoid buying. My father-in-law's lawnmower works as well as a new one and costs me only gasoline.

I suppose a real hard-core compacter would do without the lawn. Talking yourself out of purchases all together works fairly well. We didn’t replace a lot of things we left behind in California. Every person has a different level of need. There are folks on the compact list that have learned to live without toilet paper. I'm not there yet.

Can you get what you need for free? Asking friends and neighbors, family, and freecycle for something is usually my next step. I've turned up a surprising amount of useful loot. I also give away the things I'm done with as well. This is an excellent strategy for kids clothes, baby items and recreational items. I got a couple of coolers and a swing set this way.

I’ll continue down the list in a couple of weeks with thrifts and flea markets and the Missouri quirks that have gone along with them. Until then, try redusing and reusing for yourself.

Labels: , , ,