Saturday, April 21, 2007

Compact Action: Faint Blue Lights

Before I ever left California, I knew I would find allies in Springfield. Thanks to the Internet and the almighty power of Google, I moved knowing there were at least a few faint blue lights in this red-state landscape.

One of the first I found was The Radish, an anarchist infoshop. Infoshops act as a clearinghouse for activist information. Just seeing they had one in Springfield was a very good sign to me. Alas, they are homeless at the moment, but I am still networking with them.

Feel isolated and alone in your beliefs? Use the Internet to find a local branch of your community. I networked through Democratic Underground and The Compact before I ever left California.

Open Secrets is another amazing resource. You could find all the Nader, Gore or Kerry supporters in your zip code with a well-crafted search. I did.

Search out sympathetic businesses. I find like-minded souls at Mama Jean's, a popular health food store. They help me find organically grown and locally produced products.

Finally, you can grow your own allies.

That's the experiment I'm in now. Writing for the Springfield Business Journal, I've already gotten some Domestic Partnership coverage written. I tell everyone I meet about the Compact and find common ground in a determined Ozark resourcefulness.

Before long I expect to find others to join me along this path. Together we'll fan the flames of these ever brightening blue lights.

Labels: , , , , , , ,