Monday, April 02, 2007

Compact Action: Red State Blues

I thought leaving California would mean leaving behind the overwhelming arrogance of place that spawned comments like "fly-over state" and horrified looks when I said I came from Tennessee. What I've discovered in Springfield, MO is an equal arrogance steeped in ignorance.

I expected to reign in my political voice a bit. I expected to go along to get along to some extent. What I didn't expect was the outspoken, fundamental belief in the superiority of racism, religion and over consumption.

The dental hygienist who congratulated me for getting out of California because it was "swarming with mexicans" comes to mind. So does the nurse who said I was "too stupid to save money" because I chose not to shop at WalMart. Yesterday, a fellow congratulated me for "getting out of that godless place" when I told him of my recent move. I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

It has been simply stunning. I've held my tongue to some degree. I usually lead by example, or try to anyhow. How do you argue with such forthright ignorance? I'll put the question to you, dear readers, for suggestions.

I've also found that such ignorant and bigoted statements are in the overwhelming minority here. Currently, in my unofficial and unscientific tabulation of right-wing vs. left-wing bumper stickers, lefties are ahead 31 to 22. There are a lot fewer "W" stickers here than when I visited three years ago.

Lefties here are quiet though. When I begin to discuss the current Attorney General, or the Iraq war, I find agreement coupled with a tentative look over the shoulder. When you are afraid to speak, there is a problem.

And finally, two organizations of would-be allies have gone under. The Radish, a local infoshop, and the Springfield Sudbury School both closed their doors in March. Two tiny blue lights went dark.

It feels something like the second installment of a movie trilogy, like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, where everything comes crashing down and allies are thin on the ground. But hey, we are just setting things up for a triumphant final act.

I'm beginning to organize and I'm finding allies. Next week we'll talk about a few of those and how they are helping me adapt my California ways to the Show Me state. I'll find a niche here someplace between arrogance and ignorance and make my stand.

Labels: , , ,